Introduction to Basic Reading Instruction
Time: 9 Hours | Cost: Choose Your Payment ($25, $50, or $100)
Participants Will Learn:
- How the reading brain develops
- The 6 syllable types of the English language
- A 6-step plan for direct instruction
Who should take this course:
This 9-hour course is designed for parents/caregivers to learn the basics of reading science and how it can be applied to instruction for students of any age. No prior teaching experience is necessary!
This course is scheduled for Eastern Standard Time. Please confirm you can attend all 6 sessions of the course as it relates to your time zone before registering.
Monday, February 6th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Wednesday, February 8th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Friday, February 10th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Monday, February 13th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Wednesday, February 15th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Friday, February 17th, 1:00 – 2:30 pm EST
Instructor: Kelli Johnson
About the instructor:
Kelli Johnson is the Director of Community Education and Engagement at The Reading League. She began her career as an elementary school teacher and, after 9 years, began teaching (under)graduate courses and supervising student teachers at Syracuse University. Kelli also served as an Elementary Literacy Specialist for a federally funded research project and as an independent consultant for public and private schools in Central and Northern New York. Kelli received her degree in Elementary Education from SUNY Geneseo and graduated from Syracuse University with an M.S. in Learning Disabilities, where she studied under Dr. Benita Blachman.
- All sessions are LIVE in Eastern Standard Time.
- The Reading League has a No Refund Policy for our events and courses. All sales are final. If you do need to cancel, we will push your registration fee to a future course.
- These sessions will not be recorded due to copyright and privacy issues. If you will miss a session, please contact the instructor to discuss the circumstances and a possible plan.