Administrator Introduction Day Details
Thank you for your interest in working with The Reading League. We appreciate your desire to learn more about what the scientific research evidence base says about reading, and how you can use it to benefit your students. Before entering into a formal long-term professional development relationship with schools, we require a full day with administrators. As building and district leaders, your commitment to increasing your own knowledge is vital to the success of transforming literacy instruction and achievement in your schools. This important day ensures that all leaders have common understandings and send consistent messages. After the Administrator Introduction Day is complete, we hope to collaborate and draft a plan to suit your needs, which may include various professional development options and coaching.
Morning Session: Introduction to The Evidence Base
- Activating prior knowledge about reading
- The Reading League’s origin, mission, and what we do
- What does available assessment data say about how we are doing as a nation and locally?
- What does the research on teacher knowledge tell us?
- What does 40+ years of scientific research on reading tell us? (an overview of the larger ideas, as this takes years to learn deeply)
- What are some myths and misconceptions?
Afternoon Session: What It Takes to Transform Literacy Instruction
- Data and growth stories from our partnerships: What is possible?
- Transformative vs. additive approaches to change
- What is it like to work with The Reading League?
- What to expect in the transformation process
- How to learn more