The Reading League’s Spring Symposium sponsored by Wilson Language Training.
Thursday, May 20, 2021
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EST (virtual event)
All voices are needed to promote the Science of Reading in order to impact ALL students. Join us as we explore specific ways each of us can be active participants in the Science of Reading movement. In this symposium, you’ll hear from these respected leaders in the field:
- Amy Murdock, Ph.D. and Laura Saylor, Ph.D., Professors at Mount St. Joseph University: How Our School of Education Embraced the Science and Redefined How We Prepare Future Teachers
- Eiman Abdulrahman, M.D., Pediatrician: Literacy as a Major Factor in Children’s Health and Well-Being
- Kymyona Burk, Ed.D., Policy Director for Early Education at ExcelinEd: Using Your Voice to Impact Early Literacy Policy
- Linda Diamond, former President of CORE: The Power of Consumer Knowledge as Champion for the Science of Reading
- Sonya Thomas, Parent and Executive Director of Nashville PROPEL: Parents as Change Agents
Bonus Session: Ten-Minute Take-Aways TRL Chapter leaders share practical tips and tasks you can implement tomorrow. Sessions include: Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, and Fluency: Writing Conventions Taught in a Morning Message, and Irregular Words, High-frequency Words, and Sight Words.
Click here to view event agenda, session abstracts, and speaker biographies.